7.12.14

Good Karma and Quality Community.

The day I arrive in Nashville, which is 19 days from today, I will have lived in Oregon for 8 months. Time has been moving at warp speed. It's strange for me to think that I picked up and moved across the country, nearly fearless. There is nothing more comforting than the knowledge that you are following God's plan for your life, even if the details aren't revealed quite yet. 
I have been absolutely blessed to have been provided with a job so quickly upon my arrival, and an apartment of my own, in a spectacular part of town. I am scraping by, most months, but I know that I am standing on my own two feet, and am in a better place than most. 
The biggest challenge of moving is building up a community of friends. I am realizing, moreso than ever, how thankful I am for the friends who have stood by my side over the years. Through thick and thin. Through hundreds to thousands of miles of separation. Those friendships are rare, and not to be forsaken. Those friendships took time to harvest. I am seriously craving those types of relationships here in Portland. It's hard for me to step back and acknowledge that they don't just appear. I also need to put myself forward. I can't expect people to just look at me think, "She looks like she could use a friend." I need to be more pro-active. 
I think I am chewing on these thoughts more than ever because of the holiday season in full effect. Though I get to fly to both of my homes, Nashville and Detroit, this month, I am slightly saddened that I will be here in Portland for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I don't think I have ever spent a Christmas away from my family and close friends. When you move across the country, I guess it is inevitable to miss out on things that once were so accessible.
Even with these moments of sad acknowledgements, I know that I would not want to live anywhere else than Portland. I know that I am here for a purpose. Though I am not aware, to its fullest extent, what that purpose is, I still have a peace over my spirit that I am in the right place, and now is the right time. 
If you are person inclined to prayer, positive karma, or just verbal/mental encouragement, I could use some of that good stuff directed towards me building quality community - not feeling like a tiny fish in a giant ocean.
Much appreciation.